1 of 11 photos


Seymour Arm & Area

"Seymour Arm, a.k.a. Ogdensville, a.k.a. Ogden City has existed in this area since 1810. In the 1860’s gold was discovered in and around tributaries of the Columbia River. The town grew to include more than 60 businesses. Close to 5000 men and women used the town as an entry point to the gold rush creeks. In the late 1860’s the town was destroyed by a fire, the gold rush petered out and by 1910 all that was left was a single store, a small school, a hotel and a post office. Developers at that time sold land to be developed as fruit orchards. In 1916 a black frost killed the trees and the people moved out: the hotel, and store closed. In 1967 the hotel and store had been reopened and the population of the Seymour Arm area was 24 people."
[Cited: Seymour Arm Community Association]


"The function of the photographer is to help people understand the world around them." ~Sid Grossman

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:North America
Subcategory Detail:Canada
Keywords:17-Mar-11, 2011, British Columbia, CSRD, Canada, Columbia-Shuswap Regional District, Seymour Arm, Seymour Arm & Area, Shuswap Lake

Seymour Arm & Area