1 of 3 photos


Trinidad, Cuba; Watchtower of the Palacio Cantero

Cantero Palace (Palacio Cantero) one of the largest and most impressive of the houses surrounding the Plaza Mayor. Originally built in 1828 by Don Jose Mariano Borrell y Padron,one of the richest men in Trinidad, it was inherited by his son Jose Mariano Borrell y Lemus, Marques de Guaimaro and then bought in 1841 by Maria Monserrate Fernandez de Lara y Borrell, a niece of the older Jose Mariano. In 1842 Justo German Cantero y Owar-Anderson, a local doctor, married Pedro Iznaga's widow, Maria Monserrate, and it was the home of the Cantero/Fernandez de Lara family until the late 19th century. Grander than most buildings nearby, it features a spacious entrance hall that opens on to a large galleried courtyard. Original frescoes survive on the plasterwork of the main hall, and a tower accessible from the courtyard gives views over the Plaza Mayor, the city of Trinidad, and the sea. The house is now used as the Municipal History Museum (Museo de Historia Municipal) which details the history of Trinidad.

Photography is one of the most advanced art forms, yet it is the most unappreciated. ~ David Huffines

Categories & Keywords
Category:Travel and Places
Subcategory:Caribbean
Subcategory Detail:Cuba
Keywords:18-Nov-11 to 10-Dec-11, 2011, 25-Nov-11, Cantero Palace - Palacio Cantero, Cuba, Museo de Historia Municipal, Province of Sancti Spíritus, Trinidad, Trinidad, Cuba; Watchtower of the Palacio Cantero

Trinidad, Cuba; Watchtower of the Palacio Cantero